Business and Breakfast 2019
This past Saturday (October 26), NorthStar held its 17th Annual Meeting. Here’s what you need to know:
- NorthStar welcomed one new church to the Network this year: King’s Church DC in Washington, DC
- Eight senior pastors began their ministries at NorthStar churches this year – either new to the area, or new to the position:
- Artemia Bates-Mendoza, Greenbrier Baptist Church
- Bradley Boberg, Ox Hill Baptist Church
- Bryan Brock, Westwood Baptist Church
- Abel Gomez, The Church at Clarendon Hispanic
- Daniel Houck, Calvary Hill Baptist Church
- David Howard, Belle View Baptist Church
- Pam Moyer, The United Baptist Church
- Alan Stanford, North Fork Baptist Church
- Dee Whitten recognized Mike Bradley, pastor of Parkwood Baptist Church, who has served this past year as NorthStar’s Moderator, and introduced Russ Smith, member of Inspire Church, as the 2019-2020 Moderator.
Executive Director's Report
Dee Whitten, NorthStar’s Executive Director, gave a report – here are the highlights:
- NorthStar Mission Center DC (MCDC) Updates
- Following renovations to MCDC, NorthStar moved its offices to the new location in January and hosted its first mission team in March.
- MCDC has hosted a variety of mission teams from around the country – check out this video from River of Life Church from Sunset Beach, NC.
- Several NorthStar churches have utilized the facility for a retreat or a conference.
- Marketing for MCDC is underway, hosting booths at the SBC Convention earlier this year, and planning booths at the BGAV Annual Meeting, Youth Specialties Conference in Tampa, FL, and Conclave youth conference in Chattanooga, TN. Virginia Baptist Foundation published an excellent article in Imagine Magazine about our Center. Click here to read the article.
- Seven ways that our MCDC can be a practical asset to your church:
- Mission assistance for NorthStar churches;
- Volunteer opportunities at MCDC;
- Mission energy brought to Northern Virginia/DC;
- Urban/multicultural ministry training;
- Housing for interns working at NorthStar churches;
- Facility for conferences, trainings, and retreats;
- Partnerships with other mission centers throughout the country.
- NorthStar took 43 people on a Pastors’ Trip to Israel for pastors who have not been before. Click here to view a recap video from that trip. Another trip is planned for January 2021.
- We hosted our 4th Spiritual Heritage Tour of the Capitol in September and over 100 people participated.
- A series of International Pastor Training events have been held with about 30 pastors in attendance at each.
- On October 17 we provided a very critical conference entitled “Sexual Misconduct Summit” led by Rob Showers and several other lawyers. About 100 pastors and church leaders participated.
- We continued our emphasis on the Art of Neighboring.
- Our vision for 2020 includes:
- Continuing to develop our Mission Center (including an Internship Program). We plan to host a Grand Opening Celebration in the spring.
- Planning another Food Fight in May 2021
- Women’s Conference in March
- Expanding our International Church ministries
- Planning our Israel trip for January 2021
- Continuing to focus on Neighboring with NorthStar
- Praying about and proactively seeking a major mission focus locally (e.g., refugees, sex trafficking)
NorthStar Women's Network Report
Katie Harding, Associate Director, gave a report – here are the highlights:
- NorthStar Women’s Network (NWN) Invests in leaders with:
- NorthStar Women’s Leadership Forum held every January
- Leaders Retreat
- In September we hosted our 4th Speakers Showcase
- Taking nearly 40 women to Nashville for the LifeWay Women’s Leadership Forum in November
- NWN Continues to Encourage Women in Spiritual Growth:
- NWN hosted another Clout Roundtable – to help women discover what keeps them from living out their potential
- Various workshops throughout the summer
- In August, we kicked-off our 2020 conference – on March 14 we will gather 800-1000 women for a day of Bible Teaching and Worship with Jennifer Rothschild and Laura Story. Our conference leadership team is almost fully formed with about 25 women from various churches, and we’ve already about sold 200 tickets. It is going to be an incredible day!
- NWN is starting to move ahead with our new discipling initiative:
- We believe you can’t sit with Jesus every day and not be changed, so our new discipling initiative will be a way to encourage women to grow in their discipline of scripture reading and sitting with Jesus each day.
- Using new Flourish Journals that just came out – one for the mentoring disciples and the mentee disciples.
Testimonials from around the Network were shared:
- Brian Burdett, pastor of Lake Ridge Baptist Church, shared about traveling to Israel with NorthStar pastors this past January.
- Beth Davis, Discipleship Director of South Run Baptist Church and member of the Advisory Board of NorthStar Women’s Network, shared by video about her time serving with the NorthStar Women’s Network. Click here to hear her message.
- Chris Davis, pastor of Groveton Baptist Church, shared about the father/son retreat that their church held at the NorthStar Mission Center DC. Click here to watch the video.
- Ben Palka and Wesley Welch, co-pastors of King’s Church DC shared a video message about their church and being a part of NorthStar. Click here to check it out.
- Hector Velasquez, NorthStar Staff Liaison to Hispanic Churches, shared about touring the Capitol on our Spiritual Heritage Tour, and the incredible things you learn about our country’s foundation through this tour.
Business and Reports
- Bryan Jones, Associate Executive Director, shared a properties report, updating that the sale of the property in Ballston is scheduled to close in May 2020. This has been delayed several times, but we have a new purchase sale agreement with the new buyer and we believe we will be able to close this spring.
- Mel Harris shared a treasurer’s report, and the 2020 Budget was approved. Click here to view the budget.
- We voted in new Board of Directors Officers and Directors. Click here to view our new Board.
- Duke Street Trinity Baptist Memorial Foundation shared a report with us. The foundation offers grants to local ministries. Click here to check out their website and deadlines for applying for a grant.
- The John Leland Center for Theological Studies shared a report. This is a great local seminary partnered with NorthStar. Check out their website here, and share it with someone that might be interested in learning more about seminary.